Oxidysed Pyramid Ring

During one restless night in Croatia I had an idea for a pyramid ring whose edges curl round to form the band, so I scribbled it in a notepad at 4am and went back to dozing. Discovering the sketch yesterday (on the back page of my graphite sketchbook no less) I decided to go ahead and make it.

This would be so simple to make in wax and then cast but I don't have access to any casting things and having made a pyramid before I know how difficult/rewarding it can be to make by hand with sheet metal. The mathematics involved in making the flat blueprint - documented here - are mindbending so I made a mockup in copper to check the measurements were correct. But then I messed up my last piece of thick silver so had to go with a thinner stock.

Since it has a thick band I wanted quite a punky finish, so firstly I brushed and lightly polished the piece and then oxidised it, then finally I buffed the edges for a worn effect. It looks great worn with the small onyx ring (top) or alone as a thumb ring.

Two Door Cinema Club - Undercover Martyn (acoustic)

No comments:

Post a Comment